Saturday, July 18, 2009

A celebration of love

There is one date that I really look forward to every year, no it’s not my birthday, it’s my wedding anniversary. A day where my husband and I celebrate our love, our devotion and our submission to each other. And yesterday, we celebrated our 15th anniversary as husband and wife.

I can’t believe it that it has been that long. 15 years ago yesterday we tied the knot at Indianapolis Islamic Center, Indianapolis, Indiana, sealing the deal hopefully forever and ever, till death do us part. I still feel like it was yesterday that we took the 2-hour drive with a few close friends to say our vow in the house of Allah in hope that we would make it through thick and thin together. And it was nothing short of thick and thin that we went through together in our journey as man and wife in the past 15 years.

15 years!!! I keep saying 15 because I can’t believe it’s been 15 years. Another 15 years I’ll be celebrating my anniversary with my grandchildren. It does make me feel a little like a veteran though...

Anyway, 15th being a significant number made me rather anxious and we both wanted it to be a special celebration for both of us. We had breakfast in the morning with our little angel (who by the way can’t stop smiling at the Bangla waiters. She just loves men of any age!) whilst the other kids were in school. We had lunch at home and after Friday prayer (and in between fetching kids to and fro schools) we went for a short coffee break at a nearby mall.

This year, for the first time, I’ve ordered an anniversary cake from a dear friend. Thruthfully, I actually needed an excuse to get a whole cake from Irma (I've been drooling at her pretty pictures posted in facebook for the past few months), so I jumped at the opportunity. I must say it was really yummy and I could the taste the rich chocolate lingering in my mouth as it melts. As a bonus she also brought some yummy brownies!! Thanks Irma, the kids love it so much.

The lovely anniversary cake:


The day ended with the much awaited anniversary dinner. This year I’ve been trusted with the dinner arrangement since I have lots of time to spend on planning. Based on the feedbacks I got from friends through facebook, I chose the one that I think befits the occasion the most. All I can tell you is that it was the most expensive dinner (or even breakfast, lunch, tea and dinner put together) I’ve ever had in my entire life! In my defense, we only get to celebrate 15th anniversary once in our lifetime, so it was all worth it.

The highlight of the celebration for me was the anniversary present (I can’t help it, who doesn’t like present huh?). He loves to collect watches and electronic gadgets. As I don’t have a steady source of income, gadget is totally out of my non-existence budget hence I got him a watch instead. Got a very good deal (really!), so I don’t feel guilty the he actually have to pay for it too later (I’m a dependant remember?). As for mine, he waited until after the dinner. So I was thinking since it was small enough to fit into his pocket, it must be a sparkle. And I was absolutely right. A certain part of my body is 0.5carat sparkler and it even comes with a GIA certificate….yahoooooo!!!!!! I can’t stop looking at it as I’m penning this article.

I say it is certainly not easy to build a life with another human being, but we should always make it a worthwhile journey together. It has been a worthwhile journey for me thus far and I look forward to another 100 years of journey together with my husband, insyaAllah.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations to both you and husband, Moga terus bahgia di dunia dan akhirat! Happy that u had a great celebration. I like the 0.5carat part!!


    p/s lawa la kek si Irma tuh...ikshh...tak tahan tgk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Wan! Same goes to you and your hubby. Semoga jodoh kita semua kekal hingga ke akhir hayat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Azura!!May you continue to find joy and comfort in each other for years to come.Happy parents make happy kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Zura and hubby. May Allah bless your relationship now and in hereafter!

    P/s: Did you get naval peircing w the 0.5carat. Bestla nak buat belly dancing. Ask Wan to bring home the attire. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mid! Belly dancing? Hmmm, 15 years ago ok la, now I think cik abang tengok pun gelak besar :O

    ReplyDelete
  6. heyy i went back to the souq and found the costume in 2 more colors! cepatttt! sapa nak!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mid nak tu. Tolong belikan dia satu kaler hijau

    ReplyDelete