Friday, May 29, 2009

A desparate cry for me time

Instead of whining that I am bored all the time, I have decided to embark on a culinary adventure of my own. In the last couple of weeks I had been busy in my kitchen preparing dishes that I love (instead of the usuals like sambal, masak kicap, masak lemak, soup and the likes). Amongst them were kari kepala ikan, ikan patin masak tempoyak, ikan patin asam pedas, rendang ayam kampong, ikan keli masak lemak cili api, laksa, mee kari, asam pedas daging, gulai ikan talang and lots more. I have also been experimenting with pine nuts. I have created a few simple pasta dishes using pine nuts. I also made meatloaf. My kids simply love them. Today, I have decided to go Italian again - beef lasagna is on the table for lunch. If I have time today, perhaps I’ll bake an apple pie too.

By the way, I didn’t bake the cup cakes last weekend. Between entertaining guests, the usual family outing and nursing my husband who had his molar tooth extracted over the weekend, I couldn’t find the time to bake. I plan to turn this to a family project during the school holiday.

School holiday is here at last! The thought of not having to drive the kids to school for two weeks is really liberating. Tomorrow we’ll head to Alor Setar for my parents’ house. I am pretty sure that I’ll stuff myself silly during 4 days break there. My mom’s is a superbly great cook (but then again all moms are great cook, aren’t they?), it’s so hard not to eat so much when I am there. The last time I went back to my hometown, I gained 2.5kg in just 5 days. I hope it won’t happen again this time.

On a different note, I just realized that I have not pampered myself enough. I am definitely NOT a tai-tai like someone said I was. I am more of a coolie. The last time I had a facial was exactly 15 months ago, massage 6 months ago (and that was because I had a baby), hair cut over 6 months ago, never had a manicure and pedicure and never went to a proper SPA. Can you believe it? I can’t either…. The only form of self pampering that I indulge in is shopping. But then again, I mostly shop for other people, i.e. my kids. This made me realized that I like to please other people more than myself. Perhaps it’s time for me to pamper myself once a while huh. But…I just don’t have the time to do so. How lah?

Besides, I am also the type that would not be happy to leave my kids at home while I have fun outside. It makes me feel so guilty – having a fun ‘me’ time makes me feel guilty…can you top that? Even when I went out with my hubby, I always feel the need to rush home to the kids, Sophie in particular. A friend once advised that it’s not healthy to feel like that. Mothers should have more ‘me’ time. Come to think of it, I actually never had enough ‘me’ time at all. Right after I came back from the States, I already have access baggage with me, a husband and a baby. Hence, I am kind of not used to have ‘me’ time. I am a ‘me’ time challenged person! Huhuhu…

Whatever it is, I say being happy and grateful with one’s life is easy said than done. But the grass is not always greener on the other side, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Hey Zura

    Happy holidays to you and family. Rindu nya nak ada suasana cuti sekolah, boley balik2 kampung, and all. Sini time cuti skolah pun tatau nak kemana, the island is just too small for us to move about. pi mai pi dok tang tu. the father pulak sibuk simpan cuti nak balik msia for raya..aduhh!

    anyway, like usual, the highways would be very busy during school breaks, so make sure to buckle up ok, esp d kids yang kat belakang tu..BUT whateva it is, dont forget to have fun with all the jalan2 carik makan thingy.

    cheers..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dak Wan... My balik kampung trip kena postponed to tomorrow, maid sakit2 perut pulak.

    I have accidently rejected your other comment by mistake. Was trying to maneuver the touch screen on my phone and somehow my thumb ter touch reject...gerammmmmmmm.

    I agree with you that mothers like us takkan berjaya meng-isolate-kan diri from the kids untuk mempamperkan diri sendiri... tunggu bebudak tu semua masuk college kot baru kita boleh have time of our life.

    ReplyDelete