Friday, May 22, 2009

Honey, you were wrong!

In my desperate attempt to prove my husband wrong, I did a little shopping excursion with my partner in crime (and the ever faithful shopping companion), Ariana Suraya, on Wednesday. My original intention was to get something for myself, but as usual, I ended up buying apparels for my two girls. I just can’t stop shopping for Ariana and Sophie. Pretty summer dresses are abundance and my weak heart just can’t resist buying them. Each time I passed kids apparel store, they were ‘calling’ for my name. At least I did my bit to help boost the nation’s economy. Good for me and the country (but may not be so good for the poor husband).

Yesterday, I did groceries for the second time this week all by myself. I love shopping for food. I find it to be very therapeutic. I love browsing from aisle to aisle checking what they have to offer, reading the labels and admiring the food (while at the same time filling up the trolley). All in all, I spent a good 2 hours in Giant buying stuff I don’t actually need. I even bought a pack of Granny Smith apples in hope of baking an apple pie this weekend (at this point I kinda feel like laughing. Why am I being so ambitious, cup cakes and apple pie in 1 weekend? What was I thinking?).

At this juncture, I'd like to take a moment to say...sayang, you were wrong!

On topics other than shopping, my second son Harris has successfully attended his first swimming class last weekend. After the initial test 3 weeks ago, he almost chickened out. I was trying to reason with him to make him agree to attend the class, Alhamdulillah he came to his sense and said yes. I am so proud of him. Next is to train him to ride a bike (yes, he still can’t ride a bike). I will leave this task to my husband – it’s not easy to coerce this particular child of mine to take up a new challenge.

Ariana didn’t pass the swimming test and was not accepted into the class. We’ll try again next year and hope she’ll be brave enough for the class. Meanwhile, Daniel is busy trying to figure out a class that he could join simply because we are spending some money on his little brother for the swimming class, the latest being archery. In his mind, we have to spend equal amount of money for both he and his brother. If I have 10 kids like this, I’ll go bankrupt in no time. Being a rational mom, of course I said no to his many proposals. This boy is really testing my patient and sanity.

Having a good sense of wisdom is imperative when you have kids of different characters, more so when they are in different age groups altogether. With 4-5 years gap in between each one of them, each require a different approach when it comes to nurturing. It could drain you in ways you cannot imagine. And it’s really an exhausting job.

But at this age, I feel like I am a better mother. I enjoy motherhood more compared to when I was a lot younger. I am more rational, patient, understanding and not so moody. My kids, Sophie particularly, are getting the best of me. In this aspect, maturity and wisdom does come with age I supposed.

I say older women make better mothers. What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Wait! you have to pass a test to join the swimming class? Aren't the kids supposed to learn swimming in tht class. Or is the class for compertitive swimming?
    Older women make better mothers? Wow I like the idea.:-) I sure hope it's true w me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Mid, they have to pass a test first and this is just beginners class tau. Perhaps kalau I cari personal trainer (1 to 1) it'd be easier.

    Yup, older women are generally wiser, hence better at being mothers. When I was in my 20s, I sucked at being one - very impatient and often lost my cool. The kids always become the victims. Selalu kena marah2, sikit salah teruk kena marah. I believe the same goes for fathers. When I looked back I pity my boys who have to go through that tough period.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Older people shoud be wiser tapi sekarang org2 muda pun cekap jugak. with all the knowledge they gathered, they could really catch up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dak wan,
    U are absolutely right but when it comes to emotional stability i think older women fare better. That's why i feel we make better mothers at this age. Darah muda selalunya cepat amarah. Tapi it may be true in my case je kot.

    ReplyDelete