Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy mother's day

It’s the time of the year again - for mothers around the world to celebrate mother’s day. A day where mothers are supposed to be pampered and celebrated. If you asked me, I’d say mother’s day is another clever invention by retailers to encourage people to spend on gifts and food. Gifts are selling like hot cakes and set lunch and dinner are priced at twice the usual price, some even higher. But, there’s nothing wrong for us mothers to be celebrated, isn’t it? Once a while, it feels good to be the centre of attention.

My mother’s day weekend started on a high note. On Friday night, for the first time in like a year, my hubby and I went for a midnight movie outing. We watched X-Men Origin - Wolverine. I was kind of anxious about leaving Sophie at night with my maid especially during her bed time. But my husband kept assuring me that she’ll be fine. I think he misses our midnight outing a lot more than me lah. We left for 1Utama at 10pm and came home at half passed 2am. Sophie was sound asleep when we reached home.

It feels absolutely great to enjoy things couples do again after almost 8 months (since we have Sophie). Parents need time out too to enjoy each other’s company minus the kids. This is what keeps married couples going. For the past 15 years, we always make a point to have a night out at least once a month to keep the romance alive. We also plan for a get away during our anniversary month every year. But last year we didn’t have one as I was heavily pregnant then - and was in absolutely no mood for any kind of lovey dowey stuff. I look forward to another get away next year. I don’t think it’s gonna happen this year as Sophie is still breastfeeding and too young to be left at home with the maid.

On Saturday, we took the kids to Subang Parade for lunch and some shopping. I got myself two books – An Accustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri and Man and Boy by…uhhh I forgot who (sorry!) – a mother’s day gift for myself. I promised myself that I shall make time to start reading again. The last time I read was when Sophie was about a month old, Bonesetter’s Daughter by Amy Tan and The Kite Runner by Khaleed Hosseini (did I get his name right?).

And today, I woke up in the morning with a mission - I am not going to lift a finger today. I will rest and let things take its own course. I am not even gonna change Sophie’s diaper. As of now, my plan seems to be working perfectly well. I even took a nap in the evening...isn't life great?

Ariana gave me mother's day card she made at school. Daniel's gift to me was in a form of personal hygiene. He took a long shower before we left for lunch. Harris, well, I don't know what to say. He didn't even join us for the lunch. I didn't have the patient and the energy to entertain his tantrum and I certainly didn't want to exhaust my mind on this wonderful day.

This year for a change, instead of the usual steak, I wanted to eat at Bubba Gump for my mother's day treat. The reason I wanted to eat there was simply because of their sinful desert called ‘That chocolate thing’. For chocolate lovers, if you haven’t tried it, run as fast as you can to the nearest outlet and try one today (so far they have 1 outlet at The Curve and 1 at Sunway Pyramid).


I tell ya it tastes as good as it looks!

My mother’s day weekend pampering is drawing to its end in just a matter of minutes. Tomorrow mama is back to business of being a cook, a driver, a baby gembala and a tuition teacher…(sigh).

No comments:

Post a Comment