Monday, May 18, 2009

In search of a hobby

After almost 2 months of working from Malaysia, my hubby left for Hanoi this morning. I said to him yesterday that for the next three days I plan to have some fun out. I have IKEA (somehow Daim cake is kinda calling for me), 1Utama and Sunway Pyramid in mind. He retorted by saying that he’s willing to bet that it will never take place. At 3pm today, he texted me from Hanoi asking whether my outing plan for today has materialized. Could he be more right?

This got me thinking that I need to get a real hobby, really badly. I have shortlisted a few options:
(1) Sign up for a gym membership – the first step. The next step would be actually going to the gym.
(2) Baking – it seems that everyone is into baking these days, so I thought why not me too? I have actually bought all the paraphernalia and the ingredient, all it needs is some effort from my end. I even bought a book about making cupcakes about a month ago. It’s now collecting dust somewhere in my kitchen cabinet where it rightly belongs.
(3) Photography – this one is a little bit expensive as I need to get a professional camera. When I told my husband about my intention, he kinda laughed at it. He couldn’t believe that I wanted to take photography seriously. Some supportive husband I have eh?

I think of all 3, I would like to take up the more challenging option – going to the gym! After almost a year of being a full time mom, my stamina is slowly going down the drain. Carrying my 7kg baby up the staircase is something I don’t exactly look forward to. I’d be panting the minute I reached the top (can you believe it?). My tummy is still 'padded' by lotsa extra fats from my last pregnancy (you know what, this is what happened when you have babies after 35, it’s so damn difficult to lose the extra weight), so I could use some good exercise to get back into shape and boost my stamina level – I say yeahhh to that!!

Talking about slimming, remember I wrote about Osim Uzap that I bought a few months back in my quest for a slimmer waistline? Well fyi, I couldn’t utilize that wonderful machine. It gives me really bad backache and spotting when I use it, perhaps because of my C-section. So I stopped using it altogether.

Now that I have decided on a hobby, I need to actually be brave enough to venture into a totally unknown territory (believe it or not, I’ve never stepped into a proper gym in my life) and make the first step – sign up for membership. Let’s see, I think tomorrow is good, or should I wait for my husband to come back? I may need the moral support you see… Hmm, I’ll go with the flow lah (this is my new favourite line) and see what my heart (not the brain) tells me tomorrow.

I say shopping is also a form of exercise; you WALK a lot in a shopping mall in from one shop to another. Hmmm, can it be a hobby?

5 comments:

  1. Zura, 4 kids and a hobby? I think even the kids are more than a handful. Hehe
    How abt instant gardening. Just buy the plants and transfer them and voila! you have a nice looking garden. I promise my daughter that I would plan blueberry in our little garden. :-) Entah bila la kan. Hehe. The last owners ade tanam roses and gooseberry tree and dunno wht. I think I like fruits and spices and herbs more. Ade guna sikit.
    Shopping w my daughter pain betul esp store yg ade TV on for kids. Kat situ la dia stations taknak balik dah. But I agree Shopping IS exercise. I am especially proud, if I really like sth but could stop myself from buying. Doesn't work if it's sth for my daughter tho. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid, gardening, hmmm...not my cup of tea lah. Whatever I tanam semua mati. Lagi stressful tengok all the pokoks mati :(
    The gym plan tu don't know when will it materialise actually. Been thinking about it for years, but too lazy to go lah. I used to live in a condo (for a good 8 years) where we have a gym. Believe it or not, I never once stepped into the gym. Inikan pula nak kena drive a good 15mins from my house...
    Shopping is a very good exercise kan? I'm pretty sure a lot of women out there agree with us on this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey girls!

    photography laa!! can convert that hobby into good business taww!! do you know that it costs a bomb to hire a good photographer back home! even at this digital era. am touching my skills on this and may take up classes too...tapi tatau la bilanya!


    dakwan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wan, husband tak mau beli camera la... He's skeptical about me wanting to take this seriously. This weekend, I'll do baking dulu kot before the ingredients I bought expire... keh keh keh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy baking to you. do improvise you cooking skills mana patut and who knows we can do a JV to materialize that food magazine we talked about. heyyy i am all excited la pulak tiba2!

    ReplyDelete