Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It’s a sexist world we live in

It took me years in denial to finally have the courage to accept the fact that as a woman I live to serve others (the opposite sex in particular) – both now and in after life.

I was born in a family of 6 children – 4 males and 2 females. The 2 females were the only children in the family that have made it to university, both abroad even. My father, who was then a teacher, taught me to be the best that I could be regardless of my gender. I was never told that I couldn’t do this or that simply because I was a girl.

At school it was different. The teachers wanted to appoint me as the Head Prefect when I was in standard 6, but changed their mind because I was a girl. So I was appointed the assistant head prefect instead. Thank God I went to an all-girls secondary school; hence I was not exposed to further gender discrimination during my teenage years at school.

My husband has made it clear that he wanted my sons to study abroad but my daughters to study closer to home. This comes from a man who married his wife overseas. A man who studied in the same foreign university that his wife did. I find this a little bit hard to swallow. I feel sad for my girls.

My son once asked me, “momma, can a girl be a xxx (I forgot what was the profession)?” My response was “if you put your mind into something, you can achieve the impossible regardless of your gender.” His many gender related questions (which he’d normally asked after school) has made me realized that our education system is indirectly teaching our children to be a sexist. They are taught that boys can do certain thing that girls can’t.

It’s everywhere actually – at home, work, politics, etc. You can’t escape sexism, much like racism. I can’t help but wonder if Hillary Clinton were a man would she win the Democrat party presidential nominee? I think she would, with flying colours.

Where does this lead us to? Should I feel sad that I was born a female? Or should I celebrate it? Celebrate the fact that I was born to complement the opposite gender. To make his live complete, to raise his children, to be a faithful companion. I guess I should and I must (or perhaps I just need a job!).

Well...I guess I have to accept the fact that I was made from tulang rusuk seorang lelaki. Wallahuwa’alam.

No comments:

Post a Comment