Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I'm no supermom

You wouldn’t believe how much I miss writing in this space. I know it may sound weird, but I really do miss writing here as much as I miss going out for coffee with girlfriends. [Note to self: must find time to blog]

Blogging didn’t just help keep my sanity intact during my 2.5 years ‘tenure’ as a full time mom to 4 very healthy, active and curious kids, but it also kept me relevant throughout the break. Suffice to say that my 2 years of ‘practicing’ my writing here has actually borne some fruits – writing comes more naturally to me now than before. As an icing on the cake, words spread and I actually got a couple of writing jobs from people who read my blog. Not so bad huh? I am glad that I indulged myself in blogging.

It’s been almost 4 weeks since I came back to work full-time (time flies huh?). I am still getting used to the new routine – leave home before 8am and (trying my best) reach home before 8pm. On my first day at work, I left the office at 8pm (yes, no joke here peeps). That’s what you get when you joined a company that you are so familiar with – there's no such thing as ‘getting to know’ the company or induction whatsoever, you get loaded on your first day because they know what you are capable of delivering based on your track record.

For that, I am so grateful that I left the company in good terms. I have received such warm welcome upon my return from every one, particularly my boss. Many, including all the Os of the company, came to see me personally to welcome me back. I feel so blessed, Alhamdulillah. At least I don’t have to struggle so hard to start over.

Being a working mom also means less time to do things that I enjoy, cooking for example. Since I started working, I’ve only cook like 5 times, or maybe less. Eating out has become part of our routine, which I actually don’t quite fancy. I don’t like the fact that I don’t have control over the food I eat and the food I feed my children, the health aspect of it that is. Having said that, I am not attempting to be a supermom (I know I can never ever be one and I don’t wanna die trying, drama momma suits me better lah), hence compromise has to be made and eating out it is for the time being.

My husband is also getting used to not having home-cooked meal at home whenever he’s around. He hopes (and I am desperately hoping so too!) that it’ll work to his advantage because he is eating less nowadays. He kept blaming me for his substantial weight gain over the past 2 years. Now that I seldom cook anymore, let's see whether he'll lose some inches. But I take comfort in him eating more when I cook and less when others did. It seems like “the way to a man's heart is through his stomach” has work pretty well for me...wheeeee!

On another note, Daniel’s application to enter SBP was successful Alhamdulillah, but my husband and I have unanimously decided NOT to send him to the school. We want to keep him at home for as long as we could, which annoys the little brother who wishes to send his big bro off to a boarding school far away from home...hahaha! I am 100% sure that I’ve made the best decision in his interest. Unless he was admitted to MCKK or yang sewaktu dengannya, I don’t think he would be better off there then he is now. I understand his needs more than anyone else in this world (this is perhaps the over-protective side of me talking *grin*). I get to keep him for another 2 years, yeay!! On the other hand, this boy is getting too expensive for me to keep...hmmmm

I say live up to your own expectation, measure up to your potential. Don’t try to do things beyond your reach, unless you plan to live a short life. I'm no supermom.

2 comments:

  1. I hope he is not as disappointed as his smaller bro tho. Tough decision for you and hubby to not let him go. I wouldn't too. But I also want my daughter to be independent. Glad they don't have boarding schools here except private school which we couldn't afford anyway. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid, actually he himself was very reluctant to go too coz he didn't get the school that he wanted. The feeling was mutual. For my daughters, for sure I WILL NEVER EVER send them to boarding school hehehe.... Actually I feel that keeping them at home is better coz we could monitor their activities. Once they are out of the house, you lose your control over them...forever :-(

    ReplyDelete