Tuesday, April 6, 2010

A mother gotta do what a mother gotta do!

I just sent my son off for his rugby practice albeit a heavy heart. I don't quite approve of him playing Rugby - such a rough sport for my big baby...sigh! This is all my hubby's doing. He wants his son to follow his footsteps...grrrrr.

As mothers, there will be time where you will become suspicious of your kids doing, worry unnecessarily and genuinely wary. Ladies and gentlemen, this is where I’m at now tadaaaa...and I tell ya this is certainly not a happy place to be on earth.

My eldest son is going to be 15 soon (I know...I don’t look like it eh?). The other day I was interrogating him about his school activities and he ask me why am I so suspicious of him. He assured me that he is such a nerdy and goody two-shoes that I don’t have to worry about him being irresponsible ever. My answer to him was simple – it’s my JOB to worry because I am his mother and I do that because I CARE!

Wouldn’t you agree that being a mother, it’s our job to ensure that our kids are doing well in school, mix with the right crowd (at his age, peer pressure could either make or break a child. Never underestimate the power of peer pressure. I have seen the worst of it!); and partake in what we see as the appropriate activities for their age, although in my case my hubby does have a veto power to override my decision at times.

In most instances it’s safe to say that fathers would leave the decision-making to the mothers especially when it comes to negative decisions - the ones that you have to say NO to. I presume they want to remain popular (Mr. Popular vs Mrs. Diciplinarian, remember?) by not being the bad person to have to say no to the kids all the times. Well honestly, I don’t blame them entirely. In my case, my hubby spends very little time with the kids because of his work demands. Hence, he tries his best to spend what little time he has with the kids being a santa clause – the one who always give them candy and makes them happy while I ended up being the wicked step mother. Ah well...what can you do, you have to pay the price of being a 'good' mother. You just have to do what you have to do...sigh.

I say you should be grateful if you have someone checking on you all the time. It shows that you have someone who cares, someone that misses you and someone who loves you dearly. I hope one day my kids would return the favour. I love you kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment