Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Of brainy and wandering minds

What’s happening to our students these days? In 1 short week we read stories about local uni students selling sex toys and paraphernalia to fellow students while moonlighting as pimps too. And just two days ago, a top SPM student was apprehended for false impersonation of a royalty. And all these happened right here in Malaysia. Malaysia boleh!!!

Well, I say this is exactly what happened when intelligent minds have too much imagination and they just don’t have enough creative outlets to express their ingenuity. Their minds wander to places they shouldn’t be. I’m no Minister of Education but I’d quickly form a team to brainstorm ideas for students to channel their curiosity and talents if I were one. Owhh I forgot...our politicians are more occupied with by elections (have you ever wondered why so many politicians have died unexpectedly after the last general elections? hmmmm) and finding each other’s faults these days...Malaysia boleh!

As in the case of false impersonation of a royalty, I actually admire the kid’s guts. I was amused when I read the story more than anything else. It was pure ingenuity for a 17 year old to write to National Service Camp claiming that he is an adopted child of the Johor royal family and requested to pay a visit at the camp. He was welcomed with protocol befitting a royalty and even given the honour to award some medals to the participants at the camp. I have to say not many are as quick-witted and have guts as big as a mountain to do such thing. Way to go kiddo! I say this boy has great potentials. Let’s just pray that he doesn’t turn into a professional conman.

But in the other case, it was greed above anything else. It was all about $$$$$$. Make no mistake, this one is really evil waiting to unleash. Imagine what would these kids do when they graduate; the lure of money in the underworld is way too tempting to get them back on the right track. I don’t really believe in rehabilitation - old habits die hard, more so when it comes to money.

I say our government should learn a thing or two from the developed nations on good practices for education system. Finland would be a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment