Saturday, April 10, 2010

What's for dinner Ma?

“What’s for dinner Ma?” My two ‘heavy-weight’ sons utter these four little words more often than “I love you Ma”...a hell lot more! In fact, they ask me the same question tirelessly everyday without fail ever since I become THEIR full-time mom. If the answer is “the same thing we had for lunch” I guarantee you that they will make their long face, regardless of how good was the food prepared for lunch. In their dictionary, what was prepared for lunch is strictly for lunch, no such thing as ‘carry forward’ for dinner. See how difficult my life is, I have to cook at least twice a day. These days I even prepare snacks for afternoon tea (but this one is out of my own extra effort la, kononnya to please my dear hubby whenever he’s around). Thank God for my maid that could cook breakfast for them...wheee! Otherwise moi has to cook 4 times a day! Pengsan...

But of course there are exceptions. Nasi lemak for example. They could savour nasi lemak for breakfast, lunch and dinner, even supper too. However, moi being an advocate-of-healthy living-wanna-be, opt not to cook nasi lemak too often. I don’t want my sons and my dear hubby to gain more and more weight. All the 3 men in my nuclear family are overweight. In fact my eldest was once considered obese and at this rate my second son is also going on that direction. Thank God my two daughters are as lean and pretty as their ever wonderful mom...wahahaha (it’s been a while since I last masuk bakul angkat sendiri taww).

I tried different ways to make them lose some extra pounds, to no avail. Signed up my son for swimming class hoping for him to lose some weight, instead he gained a lot more. I didn’t know swimming can ‘fatten’ a child. So mothers beware. My second son has lost his handsomeness because of swimming! Explained to my eldest how important it is to keep a healthy weight, even to the extent of telling him that girls prefer lean boys, fat boys are not desirable bla bla bla (I know...not a very good advice eh?). At home, chicken (and I ONLY use antibiotic-free chicken) is cooked without its skin, soft drinks and junk food are not encouraged, use herba ponni rice (the type that has less carbo) etc…but somehow they just keep piling on their weight...pelik tapi benar. The same goes for the hubby. But in his case he always blames it back on me – I’m too good of a cook he said...kononnya lah. But then again compared to his mom, I am like a 5-star Michelin chef...ngeh3x. *ya Allah ya Tuhanku, ampunkanlah dosa hamba-Mu ini*
[Tips to single women: marry a man whose mom is not a good cook, he’ll appreciate your so-called culinary skill a hell lots more]

Just a little side track, in my spare time I have mastered the art of baking simple banana cake, new york cheesecake, my own version of Japanese cotton cheesecake and plenty of kuih & simple pastry. The latest is easy peasy egg tart, thanks to Dak Wan...muahhhs. I love the cheating part – great minds think alike eh? Next, I’m wanna master the art of baking chewy brownies. Got the recipe from a friend who is also a cake guru (love you laling Azian...muahhhhs) but yet to try it coz I haven’t got the time to source for the ingredients. I have eaten her brownies...meletops I tell ya, super duper yummy! Cookies are on my list too. Baked a few batches before but the result was not so good. I’m still hunting for extra-ordinarily good recipe for cookies.

Perhaps I should showcase some of the food I prepare at home and share the recipe here. Hmmm...something to ponder for the weeks to come.

I say does it really make a difference being overly careful with what we eat? I know a person who eats only organic vege, never eat fried stuff or red meat, only drink homemade vege or fruit juice and never take a puff in his entire life, yet he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Now the cancer has spread to his brain. Allah works in mysterious way indeed, wallahuwa’lam...

No comments:

Post a Comment