Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Parents beware!

I’m supposed to be working on some paper work (deadlines! deadlines! But who cares, I’m my own boss hehehe...) but I just have to blog about this very important topic first before my momentum wears off. Last night as we were having dinner at home, my teenage son was telling me and my husband about his friends having girlfriends (ah yes...the things parents have to worry about when we have teenagers at home). He was telling us how he envied his friends who have girlfriends (OMG!) coz he longed to know how it feels to be in love (double OMG!). We debated about this topic and he reasoned that the he is only curious, that’s all. I’m terrified already, God help me...please make them stop growing so fast.

When I was in secondary school (I went to an all-girls school), my 2nd elder brother gave me stern warning against having boyfriends. I was scared to death of my brother (who is the fierce one in the family) that I didn't even dare to even talk to boys from other schools. I know now that he meant well and I am glad that I have a brother who cared enough to warn me. At this point, I wish I could have someone telling my kids the same thing and leave the same impact on them that it did me. I have four kids and 2 of them are girls...I have to go through this phase 4 freakin’ times (triple OMG!).

How would you handle the situation? I reasoned with my son on the disadvantages of having a girlfriend at his age, albeit rather unsuccessfully. Deep inside I know that nothing that I say could stop him; no amount of advice, words of wisdom or even scolding could stop a child from doing what they want. I could only hope that I have nurtured them well enough to distinguish between the good and the bad to stop them from doing things against my will...insyaAllah.

I say it’s challenging enough bringing up children of your own. Having teenagers in the house is even more complex, overwhelming and extremely mind-blowing...and I’m not kidding y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Oh..oh...please put up a post about how you and hubby handle this please (for my future reference)

    I can't even give coherent answer when the boys ask what a gay is

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...you'll soon experience it for yourself ler. When (and if I ever) found a way to handle this situation without going crazy, I shall put it up here.

    Thanks for visiting Nae.

    ReplyDelete