Monday, May 3, 2010

Impossible is nothing, just do it!

Oh my, I did not meet my KPI for April...I am supposed to write at least 9 articles every month but I only had 8 last month...sigh! It’s a sign that I need to cut down on my berpoya-poya time...ngeee.

I did myself proud last Saturday; I went for my 1st ever swimming lesson. I know at my age, I may be a laughing stock...but I am determined to learn come what may! I want this to be an example for my kids – it’s never too late to learn just about anything.

It was supposed to be 4 of us ladies but the other 3 pulled out at the eleventh hour but I decided to go ahead with the class (see how determined I am?). It was actually a blessing in disguise indeed, having the instructor all for myself is way much better. I had 2+ hours of undivided attention from the instructor...bliss!

I had plenty of butterflies in my stomach before the lesson started and kept farted during my entire journey to the class (it happens to me when I’m nervous...funny eh?) I was scared to death (although I was really good in pretending that I wasn't...hihihi). And when the instructor started teaching me the breathing technique, I felt like I wanted to quit pronto. I didn't think that I could do it at first. I even told her that I was having second thoughts. But then I decided to gather all my courage and push my fear aside and just do it. I kept saying to myself if my 9 year old son can do it, so can I. And like they say, the rest is history...

The instructor and I (see how paranoid I am about getting sunburn? I bought a diving suit that covers my entire body and applied 2 layers of sun block - 50 SPF & 25 SPF. Yet my face got burnt pretty bad...sigh!)


What I’ve learned on my first lesson:
1. Breathing technique under water (I’m a pro in just 1 lesson...wheeee!)
2. Submerged my head fully into the water (something that I was too chicken to do all my life). I could do this in the deep pool to y’ol...don’t play play arrr
3. Float (this one took quite a while for me to master, I was too scared to let go of the instructor’s hands and float freely)
4. Glide (I could actually glide in water wehhh, amazing indeed!)

Submerging my head into the water for the first time


Now you see me...


Under the water I go...


Now you don't! I'm gliding in the water y'ol!



For a person who is too scared of the water, these achievements are noteworthy indeed. I feel like I deserve a medal of some sort lah...hahaha. I am so darn proud of myself. I know in an instance that I will be a better swimmer than my husband...yeehaaa! You just wait and see mr. hubby...hehehe.

Don't I look like a pro? Hehehe...I loike!!


I say, believe in yourself and you will achieve the impossible. All you need to do is face your fear in the eyes and just do it...I’m glad I did!

p/s: I'd like to credit paparazzi in da house for being there for me and snapping the above priceless photos :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment