Friday, June 25, 2010

Parenthood

Gosh...these few days I feel soooo darn bored, bored to the power of 1000. If one could die of boredom, I would be the first!

The world of boredom has one again brought me closer to the infamous idiot box aka the television (thank God I have totally lost interest on FB games...pheww!). My new relationship with the TV has introduced me to a new drama series called Parenthood (quite a huge change from watching Desperate Housewives huh?). I find it rather fascinating to watch an almost true depiction (at least by Hollywood definition) of parents’ struggle in facing challenges in bringing up their children.

Any parents would know that it’s not easy to bring up kids. The more you have them the more difficult it gets, the older they get the more challenging it becomes. I have 4 of them, so go figure! Yet I can’t help but think that it was much easier for our parents back then. Computer was a word we never knew existed, internet has not been invented yet, satellite TV was unheard of, telephone was a luxury for the select few, Toy’r’Us was no way near us, going to the cinema was like the event of the year for the family, so on and so forth lah. After primary 6 like it or not you are sent off to a boarding school. Your parents’ success in bringing you up was almost solely measured by the success of enrolling you to a boarding school and thereafter to a university. Once you are in (even though it was against your will) half the job was done for the parents, easy...kacang putih one.

Our parents didn’t have to worry about us being glued to TV the whole day, addicted to the internet before we reach puberty (or before we even know what puberty was for that matter), dating at inappropriate age (did they?), having to buy us stuff because our friends have them, paying for tuitions, swimming lessons, yadda yadda yadda. In retrospect, it was relatively easy growing up in the absence of technology back then. I say our parents are so lucky! OR perhaps my parents were amongst the lucky ones to have an angel like me...wahahahaha (owh, it feels so good to masuk bakul angkat sendiri and I ain’t that heavy to lift hihihi *double perasan*).

Today, the world has turned 180 degree. Most of us don’t wanna send the kids off to boarding schools (at least I know I don’t!). It could be because of our own selfishness or simply because we are being over protective, but most likely it’s a combination of both. Success is no longer measured by grades, but at how well-rounded the child grow to be. At the same time we have to worry about all sorts of problems even though our kids have the slightest inclination of misbehaving, all thanks to the borderless world.

The fantastic-4 that have been giving me plenty of headaches (but still love them to bits):

Contestant no. 1 - The Big Burly D


Contestant no. 2 - The Short-tempered One


Contestant no. 3 - The Girly Girl


Contestant no. 4 - The 'lil Missy


Enough said, I think my biggest challenge as a parent has yet to come. My girls are still very young - soon to be 6 and 2 years old. They say parenting girls are harder than boys (which I beg to differ coz I think my parents didn't face any big problems whatsoever bringing me up, but my brothers...hmmmmm). Should I just lock them at home till they turn 30? Now that's a thought I should consider...

I say never take parenting for granted for it is the hardest job in the world. Society will always judge us by how well and how bad your children turn out to be. You are a success when your children succeed, and sadly you are a failure when your children fall short. Sad but true...wallahuwa'lam.

No comments:

Post a Comment