Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Kyle Harris the Water Boy


After only 3 swimming lessons, my second son could finally float head down in the water. He is on cloud nine and very contented with his new skill. My boy who was a little bit aqua-phobic is finally beginning to love the water. And I am so proud of him. Way to go my son!

Taking a piggy ride behind his sister's float to swim. I am pretty sure that he would be able to swim without assistance in no time.

He first developed fear of water when he was pushed into the swimming pool by one of his brother’s friends a few years back when we were still staying at our old place. That one horrifying incident had left a mental scar. Thank God he managed to overcome the phobia before it was too late. I would like to take credit for this, for I have successfully managed to persuade him to join the class….way to go mommy!

Now that I have helped my son overcame his fear, perhaps I should work on mine too. I too am an aqua-phobic. I don’t even dare to submerge my head into the water, more so float! Now that he is learning more and more skills, the role has reversed. He is suggesting that I sign up for a swimming class too. But I think I am too old for that lah…particularly when swimming instructors are generally of the opposite sex. Momma is malu-malu kucing huhuhu.

This reminds me of our trip to Redang Island last year. I had a near death experience in the boat on the way to the island. The wave was so strong that I thought that the ferry was going to capsize bringing us all down with it. I can’t remember how many verses from the Quran I have recited repeatedly in silence thinking that I was going to die. I even shed some tears out of fear – fear of my impending death in the water. I counted the number of safety jackets and it was obvious that we had more passengers than the jackets. If the boat were to tip over I would surely die, but I would do my very best to ensure the safety of my children even if I have to kill some people in the process.

After the trip I vowed that I will never ever take a ferry ride to any Islands ever again. We’ll settle for air travel instead… A lesson well learnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment