Thursday, October 29, 2009

A Case of Ditelan Mati Emak, Diluah Mati Ayah

I wanted to write this post earlier but I was not in the mood to write, hence the delay. A few days ago I was so engrossed with FB that I forgot to pick up my son from school. No need to raise the alarm yet...I was only 20+ minutes late and he is a teenager. The latter fact is to justify that it’s not like I made a young child waited for 20 mins at school (did I justify myself enough?). Nonetheless, he was the last to leave school on that day, I think.

When I was a kid, I cycled to school every single day. Before I knew how to cycle, I walked to school – about 3km each way. I walked to school when I was in standard 1 with my heavy bag, alone. When you were only 7 years old, 3km felt like 30km. There was no one to send me to school. Right after school I walked again to madrasah to attend sekolah agama. I didn’t have the luxury of having my mom fetching me in a luxury car every day. Yet, I never complained...ever! I knew that it was my own responsibility to get to school every day, not anyone else’s. Oh, I even escaped a kidnap attempt on my way to school once (I’ll tell the story some other time yah).

These days, the role has reversed – we the parents are responsible to ensure the kids get to school safely every day. Not just to ensure they get there safely, but to ensure that they go to school every day too. When I was a kid, I was so scared to skip school that I attended school even when I was sick enough to be hospitalised. The goal was to have perfect attendance. If I ever forgot to do my homework, I got so scared that I was sick in the stomach and felt weak in the knees. I think I speak for most of us who grew up before the mid 80s and the 90s.

My kids on the other hand, if I didn’t ask them to do their homework, chances are they won’t do it. Study and revision? The two words don't even exist in their dictionary. And my kids are not exactly the slack type, they are amongst the performers. Yet, they behave in such a way – complacent. My hubby always said to my eldest son over and over again - don’t be complacent. But like it or not, they are.

Have we ever asked ourselves why? My bet is they are too pampered with too much luxury at hand that have caused them to think that their future is somehow secured. They think that they don't really need to work hard like we did, because their lives are already very comfortable, we had to because we wanted to have a better life.

Unlike us (I may not speak for everyone here), they have never once experience what not having everything they want feels like, what being SUSAH is like... They are spoiled to the point that even cycling 3km to school is hell to them, 20 minutes late is a huge inconvenience... I could provide a thousand other examples but I’m sure you get the not-so-pretty picture.

But, of course we are to be blamed for this. When I started to have my own family, I told myself that I will give my children what my parents couldn’t get me when I was a kid. I remember admiring Barbie dolls from afar. I didn’t have one because for my parents RM11 (I think that was the price tag then) was expensive for a toy, and buying toys were complete waste of money. So when I have my own daughter, I bought her Barbie dolls even when she was still too young to play with it and I bought my kids toys until I ran out of space to store them.

On top of it, parents often succumb to pressure too. For example, we buy Playstation because our friends have them at home, we buy PSP because we see other children have them...we don’t want our kids to feel inferior! So, how? I say this is a perfect example of ditelan mati emak, diluah mati ayah *sigh*.

4 comments:

  1. Zura...ur entry really spoke on behalf of me except the part lambat / forgot ambil anaklah. Hahaha.

    Masa kecik dulu, aku minat sungguh kat barbie doll tapi my dad tak mampu so now walaupun anis not into barbies' and stuff, aku beli juga. Rosli selalu cakap tu semua more for me instead of anis. I guess in a way it's true. Masa I play doll ngan anis, I pin berangan sama....Sikat rambut, tukar baju, mekap2 and such.

    Dulu kalay dapat makan mcdonald dah macam jakun dan bagus sangat. Tapi tak reti nak makan cheese and pickles. Habis semua diketepikan. Tapi our kids, makan kat chichen rice shop dah kira paling teruk. Usah cakap makan kat warung lah....

    What shud we do ah...to change them or to change us? Very tricky question kan. Dua2 macam tak mungkin aje.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tu lah Shikin, we are in dilemma. Tapi ada jugak anak orang yang have all the privileges but still very hardworking... Apa mak bapak diaorang bagi makan pun tak tau...hehe

    Nak change ourselves and/or them sounds impossiblelah pulak. Rebung dah nak jadi buluh already...susah susah...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    ..kurang study/revision atau buat homework(ibarat penukul dengan paku)..mungkin kot sebab banyak tengok tv?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi anonymous,
    In my kids' case, a lot of things come into play dalam hal2 kurang study/revision nih. TV adalah salah satu daripadanya. Maknya selalu kena pantau and limit the amount of time spent in front of the idiot box. My children suka tengok discovery channel, so they get to learn new things too.

    Tapi saya rasa, yang penting sekali ialah kesedaran. This is what lacking in the new generation. Tapi mungkin anak2 saya sahaja yang macam tu...orang2 tua kata lain padang lain belalang. Saya terima mereka seadanya.

    ReplyDelete