Monday, October 26, 2009

Malaysians' Obsession with Crocs

I say Malaysians are obsessed with Crocs. No not the man-eating animal but the colourful, oddly designed, light and very comfortable footwear - another clever invention by the Americans. It’s becoming a fashion cult!

Have you ever passed a Crocs store and not see a single customer in it? I haven’t. Yesterday, we had to brave ourselves in a sea of customers to get Sophie’s first pair of Crocs at 1Utama. It was grab and go for us in the cramped store. No time to really test it on Sophie’s little feet because I think I could faint in the overcrowded store plus my patient was running thin too. People were hogging the store like the slippers were on sale for only RM10!

I wonder what makes people keep buying them. It’s not exactly cheap - the price tag could reach up to RM300/pair (we are talking about slippers and sandals here people!) but it's a very good buy indeed. It’s so light and comfortable that it doesn’t hurt my feet at all even after hours of shopping (what a godsend huh?). My kids too have grown to love them. A pair could last them for the entire year. Good buy eh? Now even Sophie has her first pair of Crocs. Love ‘em so much!

Sophie’s little ballerina Crocs – cute eh?


A few years ago when Crocs first made its way to the Malaysian shores, I was shocked to see the colourful slippers with its very odd design. I said to myself who would wear such an ugly pair of shoes – only idiots, the colour-blinds or the fashion-challenged people perhaps. Little did I know that I too would become a huge fan not long after I made that discriminating statement...haha.

What could have changed people’s perception towards this rather unique footwear? It could possibly be because of the more trendy designs they've been producing in recent years, ideal for the fashion savvy, on-the-go mommas who fancy comfortable slippers like moi...muahaha (perasan...the fashion savvy part that is!). I say they have evolved from hideous to chic footwear.

Did you know that it is also becoming a hit and a must-have item for people performing the Haj and umrah? Yes, certain travel agencies even made it a compulsory item in their list! Amazing huh? More business for the Americans! Perhaps in the next boycott for American products, we should include Crocs too...muahaha (or is it already in the list? Don’t know, don’t care...peace!)

2 comments:

  1. Those shoes look really cute.
    Zuleikha has the basic crocs slippers. I am not a fan of those tho. Remind me so much of "selipar jepun". Hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid, the new ones are really nice. Like I said they are into chic footwear now too but the ugly ones still ada jugak lah. I bought my first Crocs 2 years ago and they still feel and look new. The longer you wear them the more comfortable they get.

    ReplyDelete