Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Karaoke, anyone?

I love to sing; I sing and hum at home all the time. But I absolutely don’t like to sing in public, it gives me the jitters. If there is one in this universe that I still haven’t got it till today – it’s the love of karaoke. I just don’t understand what makes people love to karaoke.

I’ve been to karaoke a few times (well, it’s actually more like I was dragged there by my ex-bosses) but in all honestly I didn’t enjoy myself at all. Each time I was there, I made myself busy eating – I stuffed myself silly with the buffet spread trying to avoid having to sing. But once you’re in a karaoke, there’s nothing that you can do NOT to sing. You have to sing no matter what. Hence, the whole experience makes it even more horrifying, it makes people like me develop phobia of karaoke – I’m a karaokephobic!

I actually have quite a pleasant singing voice. Contrary to my talking voice that sounds like a duck, I sound almost like an angel when I sing...believe me, it’s true (I just hit the 50th floor button!!! ngeee). But when I’m under tremendous pressure to sing, I sound like a frog singing out of tune. Why lah??? I don’t think performing in public is a major issue here, I’ve have emceed big events during my corporate days before and performed on stage in school – I even sang on stage for a musical. But for some very mysterious reasons, I hate karaoke, hate it, hate it, hate it...!!!

As a karaokephobic, I’m always stunned at how much people enjoyed karaoke-ing. Last night I watched friends in the neighbourhood karaoke-ing in complete amazement. They seemed to enjoy themselves to the fullest while I was cleverly trying to avoid having the mic being passed to my direction (which I succeeded in doing so hehehe). But I wonder how much longer can I avoid the mic? God help me...takuts!

I say life is full with so many colours...it is impossible for you to like every single one of them. Allah Maha Kaya.

No comments:

Post a Comment