Monday, January 4, 2010

A baseball affair for Daniel’s 14th birthday

My eldest son Daniel, who is now way wayyyy bigger than moi, celebrated his 14th birthday on the last day of the year. Muhammad Daniel was born at 7.30pm, 31/12/95 at Home Hospital, Lafayette, Indiana after an 11-hour of grueling labour, 4.5 hours shy of New Year. I just turned 23 exactly 2 weeks before his birth. I was young and naïve and only had my equally young and naïve husband to nurse me during recovery. My mom was 8000 miles away. Having him was a passage to my womanhood, a test of my patient and a journey I cannot forget for the rest of my life.

The experience has changed and redefined me in every single way. It still amazes me till this very day how I managed to go through it on my own. Never ever underestimate your own strength and ability – you can achieve anything and everything that you put your mind into. Yes, we CAN!! Kita BOLEH!!

Anyway back to Daniel’s birthday celebration, we were at my mom’s on his birthday after we left Penang a few kgs heavier. The otherwise eventful day started on such a bad note with his most prized possession, PSP, got stolen the night before. The PSP was his well deserved present for scoring 5As in his UPSR. To pacify him, the only comfort that I could offer was by assuring him that things happen for a reason. Perhaps God wants him to focus on his PMR exams this year instead so the only thing that could keep him away from his studies was taken away for good. Setiap yang berlaku ada hikmahnya, wallahuwa’lam.

I did a very simple do for his birthday celebration. I bought a cake and a barrel of KFC – that was it. My poor baby was not in the mood to celebrate his birthday. But today, after we came back home, my hubby brought him to shop for his long-awaited birthday present. He’s been asking for an authentic baseball glove for quite a while hence we got him one with a ball too. Quite expensive for my budget but I wasn’t the one paying, so no complaint here.

Happy belated 14th birthday my son, my big baby Muhammad Daniel. Remember, things happen for a reason...God works in mysterious way. Momma loves you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment