Sunday, January 31, 2010

Colonisation at its best

I attended my hubby’s company annual dinner at Marriot Putrajaya for the first in history last night. As a former PR practitioner, I had a shock of my life to attend an event lacking in protocol in such a big way. First, I was shocked with the MC’s very powderfull England - she kept saying “please crap your hand...It’s my pressure...” throughout the whole event with the GM, VP and regional mat salleh bosses in attendance. Never had I felt so embarrassed to be a Malaysian – trust me on this one, you would be too if you were there last night.

I’m not saying that I speak perfect English (I’m far from even being a good English speaker, much less fluent) but to qualify as an MC for an event, one need to speak at least decent English and able to pronounce the words properly. If you didn’t know the language well, get someone to write a script for you...haiyoo like that one lah ah moy. Half of the time, I didn’t understand what she was saying – and mind you this lady is a Technical Manager of a multinational company!

Next I was shocked at their seating arrangement. I’m not trying to boast my hubby’s position in the company, but by rank he is quite high in the corporate hierarchy. He is not just a regional fella, but he is responsible for global business strategy, for crying out loud! But you know what, because he is an ASIAN he was not seated at the main table. Instead, those mat salleh who are lower ranking than him in the organisation was seated at the main table. Tak puas hati, tak puas hati...acik gerammmmm nih! I always say to my husband that he is being bullied by his mat salleh bosses all these years. A big promotion (which translates to double the workload) with no increment...it doesn’t make sense at all isn’t it? I say this is colonisation at its best.

There were plenty more protocol breach that I witnessed last night which would give any PR practitioners a heart attack. My mind was working overtime last night pointing out what and how they should do differently to myself. Perhaps it's about time for me to go back to work for real huh? Red Mini Cooper...red Mini Cooper...must write a resume...must write a resume...

Speaking of resume, another week has passed yet I still haven’t updated a single word in my resume. Could someone please spank me hard pleaseeee!!!

4 comments:

  1. We ought to joint venture setting up an event mgmt co. (seriously).

    U r into red minicooper...me too. I'm currently persuading Rosli to get one for me and do not mind forgoing the US and umrah trip this year. Just love to see the redbug at my porch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha...welcome to the club. Love the red & white bug to death! But I think you'll get it sooner than me lah. I can only get it if i go back to work tau. Tontot has too many commitments (or so he says lah or may be he just wanna find an excuse not to get me one).

    Event mgmt co? Boleh, but lotsa nitty gritty work la my dear. I'm close enough to being a walking bible when it comes to event mgmt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I luv the red with white and black chequered. Rosli is quite adamant that I follow him to US. Cant quite change his mind on that....Besides he often said that I tak muat naik minicooper. But I think it is more dia tak mahu org ngorat bini dia. Hah2x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too!!! red with black chequered, jarang nampak on the road but soooo damn pretty. Let's cross our fingers, mana tau dapat kan. Tontot dah 2 years without bonus nor increment from the co (& they blame it on the world's economic crisis lah kononnya!)...tu yang susah sikit. Good luck to you Kin. If you get it, I'm happy for you. Take me for a ride k!

    ReplyDelete