Monday, January 25, 2010

When your child needs more attention

What would you do when you learned that your child needs more attention at school? I personally don’t know how to react to that. I am especially bad at taking bad news. I panic and if possible I wanna live in denial for as long as I could...

My first 2 brood are boys. They perform well academically and never ever give any problems whatsoever at school. Each and every time I met their teachers I would hear nothing but good news about them from play school to kindergarten until now. Never had I imagined that my first born girl would be of the complete opposite.

Is it just the gender difference or does she has serious learning difficulty? My girl will turn 6 in September but she can’t read yet although she’s very good at numbers. I had a conversation with a fellow mom a few months back and we exchanged info on how little girls lack focus at school compared to boys. They like to day dream more (really? I remember my chilhood differently though, perhaps I was 1 in a million ngeeee). Prior to turning 5, my girl’s only dream was to become a princess. Being a princess was her ultimate dream, heck she even said that she wanted to attend princess school to learn to be one. Thank God that these days, she’s not into this princess business anymore...pheww.

Other than that she is just another 5year old girl. She doesn’t show any signs of learning disability at all. Ariana is a very active, alert and talkative little girl. One look at her, she could be mistaken for a year 1 or 2 girl - tall for her age and she speaks confidently like a big girl. Very pretty too I might add (just like her momma...please don’t hate me because I’m beautiful ngeh ngeh ngeh).

Or is it a case of another middle child syndrome - seeking attention the negative way? It’s not totally impossible I’d say. Having more than 2 children is far more complicated than people think it is. I wonder how is it like in a family of 10 children...I for one think I’d die of heart attack or hypertension! Being short-tempered like I am, I definitely won’t die of old age if I had 10 kids...seriously!

She’ll enter primary school next year. The one and only primary school in our neighbourhood has an average of 9 classes for every academic year and each class has an average of 40 students. For a student like my daughter who needs more attention from the teacher, I know for a fact that my daughter will have a huge problem coping in class. How on earth is the teacher going to give attention to those who need it the most when she has 40 young students under her care? I worry for my daughter, big time!

My hubby and I spoke about sending her to a private school. This is actually another reason why I need to go back to work this year. Private education is certainly NOT cheap. You have to pay premium price to get the best for your child. But at least I could have my peace of mind knowing that she wouldn’t have to fight with 39 other students for attention from her teacher.

Speaking of work, another week has passed but I have yet to update my resume *sigh*. I suffer from a condition called malas terlampau...muahaha. I am gonna say this again, it takes more than just a designer handbag and private education for your kid to get you going. Perhaps I should add a red Mini Cooper in the list too *wink wink wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment