Thursday, April 9, 2009

New age urban kids

I am writing this article at the request of my second son, Kyle Harris. He asked that I write about his fascination for guns and weapons of mass destruction. Not exactly what a mother would approve isn't it? He is so fascinated with guns that even his PC password is a name of a missile – did you know that there is an Israeli fighter jet named Delilah? He is an expert when it comes to this subject. Throw him a question and he'll be able to answer you in a flash. My hubby even bought him a 700pg directory of guns – which I didn't quite approve. He argued that it’d encourage Harris to read more. For the sake of reading, I agreed to it. Before he got the book, he used to google about guns and missile in the internet.

I guess in this internet age, it’s pretty hard to curb our children from finding out more about their interest/hobbies even when we don’t quite approve it.

My eldest, who is into PSP ISO and magic tricks, surfs the web regularly to download new games and learn new tricks. However, I limit their internet access only on weekends, except for school holidays.

Even my 4+ years old daughter has started asking for her own notebook. I promised to get her one once she could read and write.

I remember growing up playing chase with boys, climbing trees (and cried when I couldn't get down on my own), flying kites in the paddy field, and so many other adventurous activities. My kids now grow up with computer, internet and playstation. They are so not the outdoor type that when my husband took them to witness cows being slaughtered during Hari Raya Qurban, they vomited at the sight of blood…I don’t know whether I should laugh or cry.

There’s more, my sons were so shocked to see me cook and eat perut lembu at home. To them eating perut lembu is like Fear Factor!! They are also scared of cockroaches, spiders, frogs and every little creature they find outdoors. When I was young, I could hold a frog with my bare hands. I am without a doubt a true kampung girl - except when it comes to worms, leeches and the likes. Unfortunately, my kids turn out to be the complete opposite – proper city kids.

I am beginning to fear for the day my kids are drafted into the National Service programme. I have a feeling that they might not do well during the 3-month stint. News of kids dying during the stint really scares the hell out of me. Did you know that to date 11 children have died while undergoing NS training? I say National Service is a mother’s nightmare. Do you think there’s a chance that they’ll call off the programme in the near future (perhaps in 3 years time)? Truthfully, I pray for that day to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment