Friday, April 17, 2009

To work or not to work

Of late, I find it rather difficult to update my blog on a daily basis. Sophie is sleeping less and less these days and when she’s awake she demands my attention 100%. My little Pea is 7months old today.

I had a discussion with hubby last night about the prospect of me going back to work again soon. He said the nicest thing to me – that I look PRETTIER ever since I quit working full time (I am happy BIG time!). All sign of stress and pressure have disappeared from my face. Coming from someone who uses compliments sparingly, this is the most flattering remark I could ever hear from him. I think men should learn to use compliments more. They just don’t know what compliments can do to a woman; and what a woman is capable of doing when she is happy - don’t you agree?

Anyway, that got me thinking of how work-related stress can affect our look and on a bigger picture, our life. People always said don’t bring work home. But in reality, how many people can actually do that? Every night before we go to sleep, we think about work; and the first thing that comes to mind every morning is work. Work consumes most of our time and our thought, am I right? We even discuss work with our significant other at home. How do we escape work then? I believe we can’t. Work is part of our lives, much like the in-laws (and I mean this in the nicest way *wink*).

After more than a decade slaving myself as a working citizen, it started to reflect on my face. I used to look haggard and permanently tired. At home, I didn’t have the energy to entertain the kids and become easily irritated at the slightest mistakes they made. I didn’t have the passion to answer their questions nor engage in a discussion with them too then. Even the husband could easily annoy me at times.

Alhamdulillah, things have turned for the best after I left my corporate days behind. I can control my temperament better, communicates with the kids better and relate to them more. I even feel that my relationship with my husband has improved significantly. On top of this, as a bonus, I even look prettier! This got me thinking again, should I go back to work then?

I asked my kids once whether they prefer me working or stay at home. Their answer was, stay at home because I could send them to school. Of all the reasons that I anticipated to hear, they chose the one that I expect the least. I guess kids will be kids.

Till next week my friends. I am taking the weekend off again.

1 comment: