Monday, April 20, 2009

They wanna do what they wanna do

What is it with kids these days? They only want to do what they want to do. Ariana for example, only wants to wear a few t-shirts and pants that she likes. Of so many clothes that I bought her, she only likes a few and keep wearing the same stuff every other day. Just now my maid and I were persuading her to wear a different set of clothes, to no avail. My neighbours must be thinking that I am too stingy to buy her more clothes. If I forced her to wear her other clothes, within minutes she’ll change to her favorite ones. The few that she keeps wearing have really worn out. Should I be a cruel mom and hide them, or throw them away?

The same also applies to Harris. He prefers his torn shorts and worn out t-shirts. I recently went on a shopping spree and bought the kids plenty of new clothes, mostly for daily wear. Only Daniel seems to appreciate them, the rest can’t seem to be bothered. They new clothes are still folded nicely in their closets.

When it comes to shopping for kids, I always like shopping for girl’s apparel. For mothers who don’t have girls, you don’t know what you are missing…hehehe. But shopping for girls could be tough. Even before the age of 3, Ariana has started developing her own taste for clothing. Her liking for shoes developed rather late, at 3 years old. It is always easy to shop for her without her around as it’ll faster (it’s not easy to find clothes that both she and I like), but then I’ll risk her not liking them and hence remain folded in her closet.

More on shopping, after numerous hints that I dropped in my blog, my hubby has suggested that we make a little trip to Starhill this coming weekend to shop for a new handbag. Now that he seriously wants to get me one, I am having mix feeling about it. I am suddenly overwhelmed by the feeling of guilt that I am about to spend quite a huge sum of money for a handbag. Is it worth it? After I got the handbag of my dream almost two years ago (yes, I haven’t shop for a handbag that long!), I told my husband that I will never look back. My next handbag must be of the same brand (hence the long absence). Should I go for it? Perhaps I’ll just get a small one. What is it with women and handbags??? It bits me…

Back to the kids, apart from clothing they also have their way with food. Every day, I try to cook dishes that suit their taste buds. However, their tastes in food change like a girl changes clothe. They like it one day and hate it another. I have run out of idea of what to feed them. Today for example, I prepared ginger chicken with black pepper as the main dish. I have fried fish, vege and sambal belacan as side dish. Harris and Ariana ended up eating rice with only the fried fish and kicap (dark soy sauce). The chicken dish that I painstakingly prepared didn’t appeal to them at all. The only dishes that never bore them (yet!) are homemade grilled chicken and mashed potato. They can eat these every day. I think my kids were born to the wrong parents in the wrong continent. Their taste in food is very much western influenced…hmmm.

On a different subject, an old college friend was in the neighbourhood yesterday. Unfortunately I was not home, hence I missed the opportunity to meet and catch up. That got me an idea to host a mini reunion in July as another friend is coming back from the Middle East around that time. I am already extremely excited about it…huhuhu.

In addition, I am so ecstatic that recently an old friend of mine from my High School managed to 'trace' me through facebook. 2 thumbs up for facebook!! I wish I could find more of my high school buddies. Where are you gals?

2 comments:

  1. I like going shopping w Zuleikha esp for apparel. She would go around choosing sth for me and ask if they have it in my size. Hehe. Tho mostly we end up not buying anything for me.
    In her respect, I am glad she is not too choosy abt wht she puts on. Except she is into skirt and dress now. If she doesn't want to put on sth, I just have to sell the idea more and tell her why she needs to wear this and that now. I guess the weather and season here help. But there are clothes, which are not her taste, so I let it be. In your case, you could always hand down Ariana's clothes to Sophie eh?
    Wonder wht your dream handbag is. But happy shopping. :-)
    Mid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid, you are lucky that Zuleikha is not too choosy. I've run out of idea to make Ariana put on other clothes, tried everything from compliments to reasoning and even blackmailing! All failed. This girl is very persistent...

    My dream handbag? Biarlah rahsia...I got my first one in Paris, so I guess you know lah.

    ReplyDelete