Friday, March 20, 2009

Batu Feringgi - a nature's heaven it's NOT!!

My family and I were in Penang for a short vacation this week. The kids had been asking to play at the beach for months. So, on our way back from Alor Setar, we made a pit stop there. We decided to stay at a hotel in Batu Feringgi because of its close vicinity to the beach.

Off we went to the beach in the evening. Luckily, the weather was on our side, it was cloudy but no rain. Hence, the heat wasn't too much for us.

I have not been to Batu Feringgi beach in ages. So I didn't know what to expect. The moment we stepped our feet on the beach, we were approached by a few business operators who harassed us into purchasing their products, i.e. the water sport activities. And they won't move until you say yes. Muah, being a protective mother said NO to their face with my leave-us-alone look. Despite the look, they have the guts to stand less than 2 feet away for a good 10 minutes in hope that I will change my mind and say yes. I felt like punching the guy's face and bite his ears into pieces!! Don't play play, this is a one very fierce mother.

There were way too many commercial activities going on there - para sailing, banana boat, speed boat ride, horse ride, ATC and jet ski. All these at the expense of people who just want to swim and play at the beach. It was too dangerous for kids to be there. I had to run for my life twice coz the people who were para sailing almost landed on me (this is serious stuff, please don't laugh). On top of this, the beach smells like CO2!! I can smell the diesel emission from afar. Hey, I don't need to go all the way to Penang for that. I can smell plenty of CO2 in KL.

So, the next day we decided to check out early and took the kids to Teluk Bahang instead. It was a picture perfect place. Not so many people, clean beach, cloudy weather and calm water. Unfortunately, I left my camera in the car and was too lazy to go and get it. So no picture was taken while the kids were playing in the sand. Yours trully forgot to pack her swimming gear (I personally ensured that everyone's gear is packed but forgot to pack mine - very mind boggling), so I stayed away from the water.

The moral of the story is, if you longed for a peaceful walk along the beach in Penang, don't ever go to Batu Feringgi. Find other secluded beaches like Teluk Bahang, Miami Beach (the one in Penang, not the US of A) etc. Just drive along the coastline and you'll surely find the one you like. East Coast beaches are still the best...

No comments:

Post a Comment