Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire - movie review

This would be my first attempt to be a movie critic...

I watched Slumdog Millionaire with high expectation. A Bollywood movie that has won an oscar for best movie, it must be good...I thought. But I was quite disappointed with the movie, perhaps because I've set my bar rather high for this one. One thing for sure, if I were an Indian national, I'd be offended with the movie plot. Here's my say on the movie.

The movie started with a young man in police custody booked for suspicion of fraud during filming of "Who wants to be a millionaire" show. What???? You are being tortured just because they THINK you cheated? What'd happen if you're taken into custody for something more serious, like murder or kidnapping? I thank God I was born in Malaysia, I don't ever want to live in India if it was true.

Then came the flashback into his sad childhood. A kid willing to jump into a pool of shit just to get Amithab Bachan's autograph? Is this for real? Then he let his brother sold the autograph without much squabble? I mean, come on, he jumped into a pool of shit for that autograph!

Watching the kids living in poverty and being forced to beg is heart-wrecking. I've never been to India but a close friend of mine who had been there said her trip to New Delhi last year was an eye opener. It was a sad trip for her seeing kids her daughter's age begging on the street and living in such deplorable condition. It makes me feel lucky to be born in Malaysia. Malaysiaku gemilang...

Oh, on a different movie, I was comparing note with my Facebook friend on the message in Burn After Reading the other day. His take was don't trust your wife 100% and don't cheat on your wife, and I said cosmetic surgery rules! We both laughed at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment