Monday, March 9, 2009

Seven Pounds - movie review

I love Will Smith. I watched almost all movies he starred in. The latest being Seven Pounds. I recommend this movie to anyone who loves story about love, regret and sacrifice. I say this is one of the best movies I've watched the past couple of years.

If you don't shed any tears watching this movie, I say you really have one tough heart...or you don't have a heart :) It's so touching and sad that even my husband shed some tears. I seldom see him cry during our 14+ years of marriage, this is one of the rare occasions. So, I thought this movie is worth a review in my blog.

Have you ever did something so bad that it haunts you forever? The movie started with Ben Thomas (or rather Tim actually, he was assuming his brother's identity as an IRS agent in his mission) making a 911 call. He was about to commit a suicide. The story line is a mix of his present life and flashbacks to his past. You have to watch until the end of the movie to understand completely what was going on.

He was punishing himself by giving to others. He gave his life so others could live. I wondered at first what does the title mean? It signifies what he has given to others - first was half his lung to his brother, half his liver to Holly, bone marrow to a kid, a kidney to an ice hockey coach, his beautiful beach house to a domestic violent victim, his eyes to Ezra and his heart to Emily. His message to the people he helped was 'live life abundantly'.

He did all these out of guilt. Guilty of causing the passing of 8 lives during a car crash, including his wife. An MIT graduate, a successful aeronautical engineer with a beautiful wife lost everything in a split second. The guilt has haunted him so badly that he was willing to take his own life for others to live in a rather creative way. He did his reseach well enough to ensure that the people he was helping really deserve it.

I say the ultimate message in this movie is - DON'T USE YOUR HANDPHONE WHILE DRIVING!!

Go watch this movie, if you don't like it, let me know... If you are a sucker for this type of movie like I am, I have another one to recommend - Life as a House. I watched it a few years ago. A friend recommended it. If you didn't cry watching this movie either, I say you really have a damn tough heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment