Monday, March 2, 2009

The case of fighting for attention

My eldest son Daniel, who is a big fan of my blog, asked me last nite "mama what do you want to write in your blog tomorrow?" I said, "well I'd have to wait for tomorrow first." He then went on to suggest that I write about how he shares the same interest with his papa - football. I wasn't thinking much about it until this morning...he was actually fighting for my attention! I think it may be related to the fact that I recently wrote a dedicated entry on his brother and his youngest sister. So I thought this issue warrants an entry on its own.

When you have more than 1 kid, each kid will fight for attention. They each want to be mommy's and daddy's favourite and will try to get your attention at any cause. In my case, it will start tonite. Once their daddy is home, each of them will fight for their turn to talk to him and get some of his attention. It will be like pasar malam with each of them trying to get into conversation with papa dearest, all at the same time. I won't even have a chance to talk to my husband during this chaotic period. Kids will be kids...

I remember when I was young I felt that I was not special. I am the 4th kid out of 6 children, an insignificant number, sandwiched between brothers and a sister. I always felt that my sister was, and still is, my father's favourite, perhaps because she was smarter than the rest of us, and my immediate younger brother was my mom's favourite because he was so attached to her (mind you, even untill today). Each time my mom was pregnant, I prayed for a brother because I wanted to remain the youngest daughter...and thank God, He answered my prayer. I wanted to be special, and to me, being the youngest daughter has its perks.

So, I can relate to my son on this subject matter. When I mentioned in one of my earlier entries (Nature vs Nurture) that I feel that I could relate to Kyle Harris the most, it was actually related to middle child syndrome. I know why he acts and behaves in such a way, because I too am a middle child - always a rebel at heart.

My son, for the record, mama and papa love all of you equally - not more, not less - for what you are...you don't have to earn it. We love you with all our hearts.

3 comments:

  1. Magic Show apamacam? Ada dapat bayaran ka? Sambutan hangat ka?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamesee16: yes it was, thanks.

    AA: According to Dan, it was great but he was nervous at the beginning. Tapi tak dak bayaran, dapat makan free saja.

    ReplyDelete