Thursday, March 19, 2009

How I gained 2.5kg in 5 days

I came back home last night after 5 days holiday at my hometown in Kedah and Penang 2.5kg heavier. At first I was kinda reluctant to weigh myself. My husband, who celebrated his 37th birthday yesterday, stepped onto the machine first - he gained 2kg, not too bad. I followed suit and the machine read xxkg! It took me months to lose the 2.5kg and just 5 days to gain it all back...

Here's how it all happened...and you be the judge.

We left for Kedah early Friday morning. My niece (my parents' eldest grandchild) who lived with my parents were getting married on Saturday, 14/3, so the whole clan gathered to celebrate the occasion. What a feast it was. 5 times larger than my own wedding kenduri. 2 cows were slaughtered for the feast.

On the way, we stopped for brunch at Sungai Perak R&R. We arrived at noon greeted by my neighbours and relatives who were already camping at my mom's house for the kenduri preparation. Lunch was chicken rendang minang, ulam2, sambal belacan, fried ikan kembong. Dinner was gulai udang, mixed vege, ulam and sambal belacan.

The next day, breakfast was pulut with ikan masin and nasi goreng kampung. By noon, the kenduri started. On the menu: main dish - daging masak kicap, gulai daging kawah, ikan masin, variety of ulam kampung, sambal belacan; desert - bubur kacang and bubur pulut hitam; side dish - mee hailam. Later in the evening, bubur nasi with sup gear box. Not to mention other deserts contributed by neighbours and relatives. I ate every single one of them.

The kenduri continued to the next day. I forgot what we ate for breakfast and lunch. But in the evening, we went to my nephew's western food stall. I ate grilled chicken and garlic bread.

The next day, we wanted to try Radix Fried Chicken. I wanted to see for myself what's the rave is all about. Everything about Radix FC is a duplicate of KFC. Even the kitchen layout is the same. But their chickens are fried, so it lacks umph. But not bad for a local fast food chain. Everything they sell in there are their own products, so don't expect to find milo or coke. On a different note - if you want to find the largest concentration of people wearing kopiah and tudung labuh outside of mosques and religious gathering, go to Radix FC Shahab Perdana, Mergong Kedah...really, no joke!

For dinner, we went to my eldest brother's chicken rice stall near my mom's house. I had meehoon sup with extra helping of chicken. Oh, we had nasi minyak bungkus for breakfast that day.

The next day off went to Penang to continue our culinary journey while celebrating my husband's birthday. First stop, laksa penang at the sea side - a cheap way to enjoy good food. We only spent a little over RM20 for a family of 6 (including the maid). Dinner at Gurney Drive. My husband and I shared a huge plate of pasembor - so huge that we can't even finish it, Daniel had char koew teaw and fried oyster. Ariana and Kyle Harris decided to stay at the hotel with my maid. So we ordered room service for them. On the way back, we stopped by at Cold Storage to get some bread - which I later ate for supper.

The next day, we had breakfast at the hotel and for lunch we wanted to eat nasi kandar. We went around the island looking for nasi kandar restaurant recommended by friends and family but couldn't find it. So we stopped at Subaidah Nasi Kandar that we found near the roadside after we were too hungry to search some more. I ate a platefull of rice with chicken, telur sotong and vege. That concluded our makan journey.

So there it was, my 5-day journey of makan, makan and more makan... I have a wedding dinner to attend on the 4/4, so I better work hard to lose the extra pounds now...oh dear. Jazzercise anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment