Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mrs. Diciplinarian vs Mr. Popular

Have you ever wondered how would you fare as a parent if you were appraised by your own children? I for one, think that I might not do well in this particular department simply because I am the disciplinarian in the family - a general who’s responsible to ensure that the kids eat a dose of healthy food, do their homework, go to bed on time, watch just enough TV, play just enough games and etc. I even have my own set of rules in the house which everyone must adhere to.

My husband on the other hand, loves to spoil the kids. He is the one who always buy them toys and junk food, let them watch TV till late, bend the rules (that I set) and always give in to the kids’ demand. I am pretty sure my kids love their papa so much more than me. If we were appraised by the kids, he’ll most likely be an outstanding performer and I, a poor performer. He would definitely win the popular contest. Sad but true.

I remember when I was a kid, I never liked my dad so much. He was the disciplinarian and my mom was the opposite. I hated him for not allowing me to watch my favourite Chinese drama series in the evening, hated him because he always ensured that I never missed my prayers, ate my apples with skin intact, drink my soy bean milk, took my cod liver oil and etc. I love my mom because she was very accommodating, even until today.

When I became a parent myself, I understood why my dad made me follow his rules. He has successfully shaped me into the person I am today. And I am thankful for that.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?), he is still a disciplinarian till today. However, he has since given up asking me to cover my head. I said in one of my entries before that I am always a rebel at heart, this is one example.

Despite knowing the consequences of being a disciplinarian, I still believe in being one because I understand the importance of it - we simply can't have 2 parents who spoil the kids most of the time. I believe in molding my children to be the adult that I would like them to be one day – a person with integrity, beriman, berilmu dan bertaqwa. I hope and I pray that I shall succeed. In the meantime, I have to endure being the least likable parent in the house…

No comments:

Post a Comment